Group therapy can be a very powerful tool for healing! Let’s look at the reasons for groups:
1) Attending a group session is considerably cheaper than one-on-one therapy. The licensed therapists at Chico Creek Counseling charge about $100 per individual session, while the pre-licensed interns charge about $75 per session. Group therapy sessions range in price from $25-$40 depending on the therapist leading the group and the topic. Currently, we have a group for parents of teenagers that runs $25 per session. That’s 1/4-1/3 the regular rate of therapy. You leave having been heard, learning new skills, but your pocketbook hasn’t been quite as affected.
2) Closed groups vs Open groups. Most group therapy is provided as a closed group. What this means is that the people who join in the beginning are the only people allowed to be a part of the group for the duration of the schedule. In time, you let down your guard, you talk about your struggles and they talk about theirs. A trusting and safe atmosphere is created between you and the other group members. The therapist participates as an educator, leader, and helper – but everyone gets a chance to be heard and to help one another. You sign up for this group and you commit to being there for the tenure of the weeks. An open group; on the other hand, can have people coming in and out. You don’t have to commit, you can come for the topics that you need and skip the topics you think you have handled already. In an open group, you still share your experiences and you help others with ideas and support just as you would in a closed group, but you don’t go quite as deeply or intimately. This is great for people who have a hard time opening up.
The Parenting Your Teen group going right now is an open group.
The therapists at Chico Creek Counseling have a deep passion for helping others. They know that for some, one-on-one therapy can either be intimidating or can be a financial hardship. We facilitate the occasional group therapy.
If group therapy is something you might be interested in, then please contact us to find out if we have a group in progress or on the calendar to begin soon. Also, if we don’t have a group happening right now, but you have a topic that interests you then we would be glad to talk and brainstorm with you about putting a group together! Sometimes a group isn’t happening because we just haven’t had the a-ha moment to think of it!!! Your suggestions are very welcome!
Some groups held now or in the past are:
- Parents of High Functioning teens or young adults with Aspergers/Autism.
- Parents of Pre-Teens & Teenagers
- Discovering your Authentic Self
Written by Jessica Wilkerson, M.A.
You can find this, and other articles by Jessica Wilkerson at www.jessicawilkerson.com/blog
Jessica works for Chico Creek Counseling as a Marriage & Family Therapist Registered Intern #IMF69783 under the supervision of Joe R. Taylor, LMFT #MFC46406.